Geek In the Pink

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Karma?

Apparently, I was a very bad being in a previous life. Not only does my schedule suck and I still don't have class lists and the kids arrive tomorrow, but:

1. My MP3 player died; I had to buy another one
2. I have a sinus infection.
3. I failed my portfolio.

Failed??? I mean, seriously. I don't fail things. That might sound egotistical, but it's true. I've done things that were not perfect, had to re-do things to get what I wanted for a grade, but I've never failed anything. Was my ego talking too much this past year and now I've been bitten in the ass?

I am so distraught, you have no idea. I've only cried a little bit, so far, but the desire to do so comes and goes (like right now...like woah). This means that, no really, the supervisors during student teaching were right: this is not the career for you.

And now that I'm into it for two and a half years, I really can't see myself doing anything else. What am I supposed to do with my life if I don't get to teach?

I have until Feb. 1st to redo the sucker, then I find out by April 1st if I figured it out the second time. My certification expires in July. Let's talk time crunch.

I suck. This pity party is so worth it.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    I'm right there with you: wrong career, etc. But Karen, it's not karma, you didn't do anything wrong, you're not a bad person.

    Is teaching what you've always wanted to do with your life? Is it your passion? If so, I never knew it. I thought you wanted to be a writer and an editor.

    Well, maybe you do want to be a teacher, and you'll fix your portfolio and it'll be all okay. Or worst case scenario, you wont' manage it, and that doesn't make you any less of a person. It means you find out early you're in a career you're not suited for, get out, make a change, and avoid being trapped in the wrong profession frustrated and stressed for your entire life.

    I'll cross my fingers for you. But just keep in mind sometimes things aren't as catastrophic as they seem. You're young, you're intelligent, and the possibilities are endless.

     
  • At 4:46 AM , Blogger LadyVader said...

    Of course my first love is writing...but the kind of writing I want to do rarely pays the bills. Teaching was certainly NOT my first choice, but now that I'm in it...I love it. The thought of giving it up makes me very sad.

     
  • At 11:19 AM , Blogger JRRyan said...

    Hey Karen, I was planning on calling you anyways about different things, but at least let me tell you that I did call because my certification runs out in September 2007 and the guy assured me all you do is write another check for another 3 years. So don't worry about that part of it!

     
  • At 1:30 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    I have faith that you'll be okay. I may not know you well or long enough to know that it was the right or wrong choice, but I know your choices so far have all been good ones and they'll continue to be so. Good luck with whatever you decide, but don't give up on teaching.

     
  • At 1:32 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    Also, do I have to point out that a lot of teachers write and a lot of good writers have taught?

     
  • At 2:44 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Here, here.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home