Geek In the Pink

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Square One

So now that I've received my letter from the state informing me that I am a superficial teacher with no depth, I have to decide how to demonstrate that, no, really, I know what I'm doing.

I'm clearly not going to do the same unit again, as it was wholly unacceptable. And yet...if I teach it to my honors seniors, will that help? No, probably not. So what do I teach? And to what class? I have two honors classes and the seniors seem good so far (it's only day one), but should I wait to see the dynamic of my sophomores before I decide? The sophomores would be a little easier, in that I've taught that curriculum for two years now, and could just expand on a unit I've already done. On the other hand, the senior curriculum has some cool stuff (Oedipus Rex, anyone?) and that might be fun to explore with the seniors. However, reading translated Greek can be difficult, which may have been part of the problem I ran into with the failing unit. (I still maintain I did the best with the students I was given, but the state doesn't care about that. One teacher suggested I use a non-honors class, but those are always very...tumultuous when it comes to behaviors. Of course, if I was a good teacher, I'd have excellent classroom management...)

And the other thing is, if I'm going to teach say a short-story, how do I stretch that out for 5-7 hours of instruction (roughly 6 class periods)? Do I do more than one short story? I'm not sure doing a book works because of the way the cycles go...the kids can't retain anything across the shop cycle.

*big sigh* So yeah, this is where I'm at emotionally right now. My day did not suck too badly classes wise, and I had forgotten how quickly 50 minutes can go by when you're busy.

Hope all are well.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM , Blogger JRRyan said...

    5-7 lessons might be a nice opportunity for a mini-unit on a specific theme. That way you could do a short story, some poems, maybe an essay or epistle and really showcase your varied materials and super cunning in bringing them together to illuminate your topic... and your theme could be something essential to whatever your next actual unit or novel is on, so it's not like it would be random...

     
  • At 12:08 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    I'd say do more than one short story... do two with the same theme and have the students compare and contrast them or something. We had to compare Antigone with Papillon (the movie). That was bizarre. But anyway, yeah. Good luck.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home