Geek In the Pink

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Howl's Moving Castle and The Lost King

Okay, so one of these books (The Lost King) I've read before and the other was a get-well gift from the almighty Sarah. New book first, old book last:

Weird. An interesting story, lots of sympathetic magic, but weird. I'm trying to decide if it was the British of it, or what. Jones, the author, is much more British in her structure than Rowling, and I think that may have been what threw me.

Quotes of note:

"If you knew the trouble we've had because Howl will keep falling in love like this! We've had lawsuits, and suitors with swords, and mothers with rolling pins, and fathers and uncles with cudgels. And aunts. Aunts are terrible. They go for you with hat pins."--Michael, p. 84-85

"Why can't you cure yourself with a spell?"
"Because there is no cure for a cold!"--Sophie and Howl, p. 214

And now...

I love these books. L-O-V-E, love. They make me happy when nothing else does. Find yourself a copy and read it. I finally got around to marking some of the great quotes from this first of four, and offer them to you as follows:

"The dock foreman yelled back that is men were working as fast as they could, remarking that he (the captain) would wait his turn like everyone else. The dock foreman then added what he (the captain) could do if he didn't feel like waiting."--p. 12

"Colorful, but does not alleviate the situation. And may I point out that the use of foul language is the typical response of the uneducated and unimaginative human, who has limited vocabulary---" XJ, p. 30

"Those under his command feared him as they feared God. (Perhaps more. The Creator, after all, was a nebulous being spoken of by priests who were no longer around. Derek Saga was fles and blood and in close proximity.)"--p. 57

"Robes removed disappointment and tried on anger, but immediately discarded it--one was rarely angry with a general who controlled one-twentieth of your military forces."--p. 66

"Not to mention the rumors floating around the service to the effect that Lord Sagan doesn' t like women."
"He's not discriminatory. He doesn't like men either. He doesn't like anyone, in fact."--XJ and Tusk, p. 89

"I've felt it myself, my lord, and I'm not an imaginative man."
"One of your more endearing qualities, Aks."--Admiral Aks and Derek Sagan, p. 141

"Dion realized in admiration Tusk hadn't repeated himself once in his long string of curses."--p. 145

"It wasn't that Tusk had anything against women. Tusk liked women, liked them very well, in fact....What Tusk didn't like was having a woman in the same plane, having a woman as a partner. That made him nervous. He was always inclined, when with a woman, to feel protective and fuss over her. Leap in front of her with his drawn sword--that sort of thing."--p. 154

"Ten thousand! Damn! For that kind of money I'd turn myself in."--Tusk, p. 158

"Ramming them--an old and honored tradition in the history of naval warfare."--Tusk, p. 168

"Yes, my lord. I know how highly you value beauty. What do you intend to do--blow it up?"--Maigrey Morianna, p. 183

"She had only to remember not to drink too much or she would receive a rebuke from her commander. And then, sipping at the warming liquid, Maigrey reminded herself that Sagan was her commander no longer. She could do what she damn well liked. Just what she'd mostly done anyway."--p. 198

"Tusk didn't know whether to obey or throw the chair through the door."--p. 245

"Apology accepted. I understand. I felt like hitting someone myself when I woke up this morning."--General John Dixter, p. 246

"Sagan had followed his Lord's commands because they coincided with his own desires. Now, he was beginning to see that there might be a clash of wills. The Warlord claimed to want to know the mind of God. In reality, he feared he knew and sought to change it."--p. 256

"The days passed. Sagan struggled with God. Dion searched for God. Maigrey pointedly ignored Him."--p. 259

"She could walk out that door--hell, she could walk through that door--this instant and no one except Derek Sagan could stop her."--Ibid

"Derek Sagan poured himself a glass of water and raised it in salute to the door of the chapel.
'I am well on my way to victory. Any further argument'?"--p. 263

"I've been looking for you all over, Lady Maigrey."
"I knew where I was."
"Lord Sagan's guards told me you were here."
"See? We knew where I was, then."--Dion Starfire and Maigrey, p. 325

"Then I've drunk four drinks, unless the toothpicks're breeding. Do you know, in thousands of years of progress, we've never been able to improve on the toothpick? I suppose when man was slogging his way through the swamps, beating his dinner over the head with clubs, he picked up a stick and poked what was left out of his teeth. And here we are today, traveling beyond the speed of light, proving Einstein wrong, and scattering toothpicks throughout the universe. A marvelous creation, man."--Maigrey, p. 326-7

"Strict dietary rules?"
"He prefers not to be poisoned."--Dixter and Maigrey, p. 357

"Sorry, computer. Just ignore it. It wasn't a command. I was talking to myself."
"Yes, sir. Wil you be doing that often, sir?"--Dion and Scimitar computer, p. 382

"Instead of commanding, 'Kill,' the brain could command 'Kill this way' or 'Kill that way,' which is, in warfare, the definition of strategy."--p. 393

"I might venture to state, sir, that you are far better protected here than you were in your mother's womb."
"Having been borin in a palace in the midst of a revolution, I'll grant you that one, computer."--Scimitar computer and Dion, p. 396

"A three-point landing, my lady, does not mean that you take out the deck, the bulkhead, and the overehead."--Sagan, p. 417

"What's his mental state?"
"Not good. Frightened, guilt-ridden, overwhelmed by everything that's happened to him. Just what you might expect from someone captured and wounded by the enemy. And then, of course, there are the Corasians..."
"Spare me your wit, lady."--Sagan and Maigrey, p. 425

"As I remember, you killed a man like that once, my lady."
"As I remember, my lord, I did so because he was about to kill you."--Sagan and Maigrey, p. 449

2 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    I didn't know Howl's Moving Castle was a book. Last year I saw an anime version.

     
  • At 11:03 PM , Blogger JRRyan said...

    Jones also writes A CHARMED LIFE which I read in like 5th grade, but I still reread now. It's so awesome and I like it better than HMC but HMC is cleverer. You should totally check it out, you could read it in like an hour.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home