Geek In the Pink

Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Curiosities of Shopping for Women's Clothes

Boys, you can turn away from this post if you'd like.

Okay, so my mom and I went shopping yesterday at the outlets, because she needed tops for work, and so did I. My brother's gf was supposed to come with us, but decided her poor VISA card was on life support and opted to stay home. So we bought her specialty ground coffee.

Anyway.

They really are sizing women's clothes differently. I tried on a size 8 skirt that was too big. 8! I haven't lost that much weight, and my hip structure hasn't changed, so wtf is up with that? I mean, it was nice to be able to try on a 6, but still. Also, two of the button down shirts I bought were smalls. Very strange.

Also, bra sizes. You know, these things ought to be universal. And yet...I bought a new bra on Wednesday (?) because I had a $10 off coupon from Vicky's. So off I go, try on the bra, like it, take it home.

Two days later, it's not fitting right. Back I go to the store, where a lovely little blonde tells me that I need to go to the sister-size of the one I was wearing; the size I was about a year ago. Only all my IPEX bras in the 34D fit; it's just the Angels that I need a 36C for. Weird. So she said if I could find the tag, I should bring back the one that didn't fit and they'd exchange it for me. On my list of things to do this week.

That is all.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:34 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    It makes me crazy, that and trying to translate U.S. into European sizes... augh. I hate shopping over here, I can't wait to go home.

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger LadyVader said...

    We miss you too. :)

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    I'm guessing you girls all know that how you're sized or rather what sizes you fit in vary from brand to brand. They have different sizes for men's stuff, too, but I don't think it's nearly as off the wall as the size discrepancies in women's fashion. A major reason for these differences is two-fold:

    1. Different brands catering to different markets (i.e. particular sizes and shapes of women).
    2. The sad fact that people in America are generally getting bigger. However, no one wants to feel bigger, especially not women, so rather than having women face the reality that they're getting bigger, they've changed the rules of measurement, so that's why this year a size 8 is too big when last year 8 was the right size.

    There should be uniformity, but there's not. There are no regulations for it. You just have to get used to it and learn it. I don't think governments care about standardizing clothing sizes.

    Good luck to everyone (especially the ladies) whenever you shop.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home