Geek In the Pink

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow day musings

To begin: it's Sarah's birthday! Yay, Sarah! *does a little birthday dance*

Well, roommate's co-worker was right: we had a snow day today. This is nice, as it extends my "vacation," but bad because now the kids have to come back on a Monday in June for their last day of school. Stupid, if you ask me. Still, I got to sleep until 9am, which is practically unheard of for me. I had managed to twist the blankets up in some very strange ways, and I imagine it will take me a little while to untangle them, but I shall live.

I finished Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason last night. This book was...different. I'm not going to say bad, because that would be a wholly untrue statement. Something was missing from the book: I felt like many of the human characters in that they knew they didn't know something, but they couldn't figure out what it was. This was an actual sci-fi book, by the way, not something I usually read. Humans have encountered their first sentient life and...well, no one's sure if they want to go to war or not. Set in the not-too-distant-future, Arnason details what's likely to happen on Earth if we don't get our shit together. There are two main characters: a woman scientist who specializes in non-human intelligence, and a male translator who's been living with the enemy for twenty years. If you find it in your local library, or on half.com, it might be worth picking up.

Finally, I watched Alex and Emma last night. For those of you who don't know, Alex (Luke Wilson) has thirty days to write a novel so he can pay off his gambling debts. And no computer. So he hires Emma (Kate Hudson), a stenographer, to type it out while he dictates. What I liked best about Alex's character was that he writes like I do: starts out, and then lets the characters take over; he's never sure what's going to happen next because the characters haven't told him. Emma, of course, who likes to read, doesn't understand this about writing and is frequently challenging his decisions on everything. The book he's writing, which the summary of the movie calls Gatbsy-esque, is actually pretty horrible and something I'd probably never read, but the movie itself was entertaining and not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.

That's all. Off to find breakfast and something else to read.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home