Geek In the Pink

Monday, December 26, 2005

Blade Dancer by S.L. Viehl

Not my typical reading, as it was more science fiction than fantasy. Incidentally, this is the third first-person POV book I've read lately, and the next one on my list is as well. Feast and famine with this sort of thing.

Anyway, the book is about a female half-breed who is banished from Terra when people discover their favorite shockball player (Jory, our narrator) is not all human. She is given a quest by her now-dead mother to find the seven others like her and tell them the truth about their lives. Bonding, fighting, love, sex and death all follow. Actually a fairly decent book, if anyone wants to borrow it.

"Even then, I had trouble getting into the rhythm of stab-push-heave. Not like I'd had a whole lot of practice digging draves in the desert in the middle of the goddamn night."--Jory, p. 4

"MacDonald."
"MacDonald who?"
"Old guy. Liked hanging out with a lot of non-human types, you know?"--Jory and Prissy Hands, p. 11

"Holy High Bitch."
"Now that's one I haven't been called before."--Gill and Jory, p.26-7

"What are you? Complusively neurotic?"--Jory, p. 103

"Either Uzlac had a fascinating collection of etchings, or Kol wanted to yell at me. I was guessing the latter."--Jory, p. 113

"Slavery is extremely overrated. So is playing contact sports."--Jory, p. 125

"Birdie had pretended not to notice, but I'd shoved them away and told them out loud what they could do with their various sexual organs--or what I could, if they kept it up."--Jory, p. 156

"I can deal with the jeers and the shoves and the challenges thrown in my face every five seconds, but I have a real problem when it's the trainers who are doing it."--Jory, p. 209

"If we had wings I might cluck like a chicken...Terran bird. Ill-tempered, usually ends up fried or baked."--Jory, p. 300

"Kol's was the first face I saw when I regained consciousness, and I allowed myself to be a silly, emotional female and cried all over him."--Jory, p. 306

"My father had ended up a human brain encased in a drone body; I was simply going to have a fancy peg leg."--Jory, p. 307

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home