Geek In the Pink

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Adventures in Sobriety

It's been two weeks since I've had a drink. It hasn't been too difficult, although my parents had what was apparently a beautiful bottle of red wine the other day and that was a little painful...not being able to taste it. Also, one does get sick of drinking nothing but water. Or iced tea.

The hardest part has been when my brother and I go out. Why? Because I am a wallflower. I don't know HOW to socialize with people; I am extremely uncomfortable chatting. After a drink or two, though, I'm fine; loosened up to the point that I don't stare at the ground or at the sky or at anything else but look at the person I'm talking to. I am so...I don't even think self-conscious is the right word for it. I just get nervous...anxious almost. Not to the point where I have a panic attack, but I'm not as comfortable. Not a reason to start drinking again, obviously, but an observation I've made about myself. An observation I've made before this, actually, it's just more pointed now.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with Lady being Lady. I stand there with my hands in my pockets, sticking close to the people I know, hoping I might catch someone's eye, and not for being a complete loser, and they'll rescue me from the bubble of nervousness that surrounds me. And I'm sure at least someone out there is thinking "Well, just go talk to people!" Whomever is thinking that obviously isn't an introvert. We don't WANT to be quiet and shy...we just are. I'd love to be THAT girl, the one who can talk to anyone and be totally comfortable chatting it up with complete strangers. But I'm not. I see a cute guy and I freeze up, I look away if I think he might be considering making eye contact with me. I blush furiously.

Do I have any idea where this bizarre complex comes from? Nope. Might be slightly genetic; my mother tends to hang on the fringes, but my father can make the best of any situation. Shall we blame the books and the fact that reading about other people's lives is more exciting than having my own? I do tend to get wrapped up in fictional worlds...not as badly as I used to, obviously, but I'm very in my own head a lot of the time...I try not to let that part of me out for too many people, because it's kinda scarey. But it doesn't leave me with much. My job? Only other teachers trully appreciate teaching stories. I really try not to talk about my job out in social situations; it makes me feel like even MORE of a loser. "Oh, that girl over there only talks about her job." Shall I talk about my writing attempts? That really only interests other writers...or sci-fi geeks...because most of the general public wouldn't at all want to read what I've written.

So it always comes back to the geek in the pink. The problem is that truly geeky boys, the ones that might get it, tend to be...REALLY geeky. I tend to think of myself as relatively balanced in my geek-dom, although as I'm writing this I realize I need some sort of outside hobby. The gym/excercise doesn't count; no one REALLY wants to talk about reps and calories burned, do they? I mean, not for extended periods of time. Do I take up golf, like the rest of my family? Fly fishing? Ice carving? I mean...I do the stuff I like to do. But it doesn't appear to make me a very interesting person. Obviously the purpose of a blog is to navel-gaze, but I don't find much interesting if I review my life over the past...2 years? I think that's how long I've been at this. Personal drama, work drama, but nothing just says "That's me, that is who I am."

It is almost summer. In a week and three days I will be off for two months. In that time I do not know what I will be doing, really. I have a trip to Canada to visit family, a 3-day workshop that they're paying me for...but that's it. Do I buy another laptop battery and drag the slow-as-molasses machine outside, sit by the pool and try to put my writing life together? Do I spend 2-hours a day at the gym trying to be some toned goddess, as opposed to the flabby one I am now? Do I drive to the beach once a week, and hope that being my opposite element will rejuvinate me in some way? I am really bored with my life right now. I don't want drama, I just want something that makes me excited. Right now, not much does.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:52 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    I vote for the beach... there's something about it that lowers inhibitions and raises happy.

    Congrats on the no alcohol. Maybe after you're used to it you can try "moderation"?

    Anyway. Good luck, I hope you're feeling more chipper soon.

     
  • At 9:00 PM , Blogger JRRyan said...

    Hey K, I don't think you're weird because I get the same way around bar situations (since I don't drink and it's hard for me to hear in those situations) but you shouldn't worry about the conversation topics too much. Just ask about the other person's life and that'll fill up a great deal and give you places to branch off of...also, I always ask them about movies. It's corny as hell, but also an irresistible topic that is always changing and that I am expert at talking about.

     
  • At 9:18 PM , Blogger Likestrek said...

    I'm not sure what can add that hasn't already beeen said or if I really should add anything as, as you well know, I'm the same way. I'm still very shy and when I'm in social situation I get stuck talking to people no one in their right mind would talk to because they're boring as hell which only makes me want to drink more but I'm starting to ramble...

    Honestly, I've decided I need a woman as geeky as myself in at least some way because I frequently will quote tv shows or movies, a tendency I can't control, and it's aggravating when they don't know what I'm talking about...

     
  • At 11:31 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    Have your told your immediate social circle how you've gone cold turkey in terms of drinking alcohol?

    I'll admit that I'm extroverted, but socializing with people isn't as difficult or scary as it sounds. It's relatively simple to at least get started. Just be yourself and be able to say hi and ask questions. If you can do that, then you can do anything.

    So do everyone a favor and keep your hands out of your pockets because I know you're dangerous when you're armed.

    Also, I don't think there are that many extroverted people who are totally comfortable talking to complete strangers. As extroverted as I seem to be, a lot of the time I'm actually quite uncomfortable and don't know how to approach people.

    My point is that extroverted or introverted, it makes people generally uncomfortable to be around strangers.

    A lot of times, fiction is a nice escape from real life and is more interesting. However, you shouldn't really give up opportunities to make your real world more interesting. After all, some of the best stories are real life.

    And, if you ask me, I find your life very interesting. Otherwise, I wouldn't read your blog once or twice a day. I check your blog much more often than people I actually know or have more regular contact with!

    Maybe you're right that only teacher's appreciate stories about teachers, but I honestly like to hear about all your stories, both concerning teaching, writing, and otherwise. That could just be me, though. *shrugs* I'll admit to being an inquisitive type of person and wondering about the other lives of others.

    And also, didn't we have a conversation once about how cool and interesting I thought it was that you're a teacher? In case you don't remember, let me remind you that I totally don't think being a teacher is equal to being a loser. But again, I generally like to hear about people's jobs. I don't know... it makes me feel more knowledgable. *shrugs*

    So yeah, I'm in agreement with everyone else, I think you're a very interesting person. But everyone gets bored with their life sometimes. Just follow your heart and do whatever piques your curiosity. All that matters is that you're doing good, having fun, and being happy with yourself doing whatever you're doing.

    Good luck, Lady.

     
  • At 5:40 PM , Blogger leila said...

    Oh my dear, I know your pain, as I, too, was once painfully shy. In a lot of situations I still am, but the boy-situations are pretty much narrowed down to one guy, and I'd sure as hell better not be shy around him at this point!

    I could totally go for some poland spring seltzer right now. Alas, my stomach has declared war on the rest of me today.

    I think it's awesome that you've said goodbye to alcohol, and don't forget the glorious summer options available to you, like lemonade, limeade, all kinds of juice, and chocolate or strawberry milk!!!!

    Lady lady, you've got to harness your own awesomeness, because the people who REALLY have no trouble chatting up others either (a)are so confident that they can't imagine someone not wanting to talk to them, or (b) don't give a damn what other people think about them. I tend to be a (b).

    I know you're awesome, and people who are close to you know it too, and once you're a little more sure of it, strangers will notice it. Trust ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home