Geek In the Pink

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

My Give Up!

Through an attempt to be helpful, a male friend depressed me to no end last night, as he told me that POI probably just wasn't that into me and was being polite about the whole situation. I could be all feminist and modern and say "I don't need a man to validate me," but I sure would like the ones that seem like nice guys to:

1. Continue to be Nice guys and
2. Stick around

One's self-worth does not improve with this sort of situation. Of course, I haven't talked to POI in a while (probably a sure sign of imminent doom), so I can't confirm these suspicions. In true new-woman fashion, however, I did not eat or cry or shop to feel better--I went to sleep at 8:30 at night and didn't wake up until the alarm went off at 5:30. Actually feel quite awake, but still a bit depressed.

I can't go into too many details, but let me just say that I actually got reprimanded for doing my job yesterday. I snapped back with something about all the other people who SHOULD have done their jobs before me.

Cleo is sitting RIGHT next to the keyboard staring at me. I really have no idea what she wants. She's awfully cute though. And purring. So no matter what, my cat still loves me.

Guess I gotta ask the question to POI this week. Just so I know how to plan my long weekend. (Go Columbus, discovering a bunch of islands!)

12 Comments:

  • At 7:45 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Karen, I am so so sorely tempted to buy you that thing we were talking about, as an early birthday present. Along with a book or two to go with it.

    Seriously.

     
  • At 8:08 AM , Blogger Anathema said...

    There is nothing wrong with shopping to combat depression, okay? Can we just be clear on that? Strong independent women with great jobs and steady sources of income should NOT FEEL BAD FOR SHOPPING.
    *ahem*
    *looks at credit card bill*
    *looks at shoes*

    Moving on...

    SWMNBN - Karen told me about the thing that you wanted to get her. I have been trying to convince her of the use of such a thing. It has been a godsend...and helps greatly with insomnia. If you don't get her one...I will.

     
  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Likestrek said...

    I don't know if your POI is like my POIs they disappear for weeks at a time and then reappear, still interested. I know mine's online and yours is in person but it may be something to think about.

     
  • At 12:33 PM , Blogger JRRyan said...

    You know, you don't have to say anything to him. And if some other guy asks you out (NOT the one on the highway) then go out with him and don't feel like you have to explain anything to this dude.

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Anathema said...

    Yes. Shopping good. Pretty things good. Yay for the spending of money!

    *ahem*

    I am going to have a chat with POI. Can I just point out that...really over-reacting might be a term that applies here? Yes, I realize the irony of my saying that, said the pot to the kettle, but still. I'll chat with him and things will be resolved to all's interest.

    Furthermore, I would again like to point out that you are doing far better than some of us. Who are 18months into a dry spell that pretty much appears to be 18 mos into a life-long dry spell. So, really, deep breath, relax, and realize it could be worse.

    You could be me.

    Amanda, USPS is losing lots of things lately. If Ethan gets returned, try sending him FedEx Priority...I'll foot the shipping bill.

     
  • At 1:20 PM , Blogger Likestrek said...

    18 months? Try 27 years...

     
  • At 3:26 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    The thing that we're talking about, although I have told K I'd stop nagging her, I am going to have to lobby on its behalf a little bit more.
    Single or coupled, every woman should have one. At least one.

    If there's an asshole reading this, nyah-nyah, nobody needs you.

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Blogger LadyVader said...

    I need to go shopping for our inter-state exurscion on Saturday...isn't that exciting?

    Thank you all for the lovely words. I KNOW I'm overreacting, I just had to get it all out there.

     
  • At 4:32 PM , Blogger Anathema said...

    Like I said...I have one and enjoy it's use. I agree - every woman single or not could use one. They are just plain fun. And relaxing. Really.

     
  • At 4:58 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    I suck. I apologize. I honestly didn't know that I was depressing you. What a helpful "friend" I turned out to be. I'll leave you alone. I'll let you and your friends criticize me as you all wish.

     
  • At 6:43 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    We don't criticize friends for being friends, um... paper guy. We just criticize people who deserve it, and then mostly for fun ;)

     
  • At 7:51 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    I still feel rather horrible. I was trying to make Karen feel free of the situation... not depress her.

    -"Paper Guy"

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home