Geek In the Pink

Friday, May 12, 2006

On Students

I just wanted to share a few stories (some positive, some negative) about my students from this past week.

Case Number One: My Fifth Period Class.

I bounced three students in 20 minutes. The first student got his walking papers for hucking a hard-boiled egg at a classmate. The second student followed shortly thereafter for telling an African American classmate, "I can't understand you; your lips rub together." The third student, a girl, found herself on the way to the office for yelling, "Shut the fuck up!" at a classmate.

Case Number Two: My First Period Honors Sophomores

Okay, so we're doing Julius Caesar and we're having varying degrees of success with it, depending on the day. In case anyone didn't know, the phrase "It's all Greek to me" comes from this play. Anyway, I went on a little tangent about the T-shirt which says the exact same thing on it...only in Greek. Do you know about 3 or 4 of my kids actually wanted the thing? Later on in this same class, one kid informed us that Menelaus (you know, the guy from the Iliad) was one of the conspirators against Caesar. Now, while I'm ecstatic he remembered the guy's name, this was pretty funny.

Sidebar to finish post: Things are better with the brother. Thankfully.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger An Illegal-Size Paper Production said...

    That t-shirt is funny. I'm going to get one for myself and get one of my Greek friends to help me say it. :)

    I've always wondered what's Greek to Greek people.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home